Saturday, August 14, 2010

tomato sauce

for tomato sauce

This week, I made tomato sauce from this bowl of home-grown tomatoes. This is the space I like to keep records of recipes that I've adapted or created in my kitchen and wanted to share this with you as well:

{if you are unfamiliar with "blanching" tomatoes, this site is a good source!}

1. core tomatoes


2. blanch tomatoes in small batches, then put into an ice bath


3. peel tomatoes


4. In saucepan, saute: olive oil, 2 cloves garlic, onion, fresh herbs {oregano, rosemary, thyme, basil}, green pepper


5. add 1 teaspoon sea salt


6. puree 1/2 of tomatoes in food processor


7. add pureed tomatoes and remainder of tomatoes to sauteed veggies and herbs


8. cook down for about an hour, then puree everything together for a smooth sauce.


9. serve with angel hair pasta

*************************************

No pictures taken of the sauce {sorry!}, but surely I'll be making this sauce again as more tomatoes come in!