Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Lessons learned ::

lessons learned ::

lessons learned ::

I had high hopes of this being Rosemary’s Easter sweater. A nice cool, cotton, soft sweater - pattern is Garter Stitch Jacket by Debbie Bliss. Indeed I met my deadline, but oh did it turn out too big! First I messed up on the fronts and had to rip them out and start over, but that was the easy fix!

lessons learned

There is definitely something to be learned here. This sweater. Oh my is it big. What did I do wrong? I made a gauge swatch before starting this 9-12 month pattern, checked the Debbie Bliss errata website page, {yes there are some mistakes in this original pattern, be sure to check it out before making this sweater!}, but it still turned out way too big, and she’s 19 months old! Luckily, it too is an easy fix, she just needs to grow!

lessons learned ::

lessons learned ::

What I learned is gauge is everything. I’ve gotten by the last two years of my knitting career not having to worry too much about gauge. But this last project was the crusher. From now on (and I have started two other knitting projects since this sweater was cast-off the needles) I make a swatch and have it checked by someone more experienced than me because obviously I made my swatch and thought it was correct when it wasn't!! If only I had known.

lessons learned ::

lessons learned ::

I did want to say quickly that I really love the color and feel of this yarn. I haven't particularly liked knitting with cotton yarns before because they feel stiff to me, but this was good, and cool to knit with. It's Cotton Supreme by Universal Yarn in lavender. I’ll definitely be using this brand again.