Thursday, July 8, 2010

beach blanket

beach blanket

Ahh, this beach blanket. I had this on my to-do list long before Amanda's book Handmade Home was published. I had spied her beach blanket back in her blog archives two summers ago, but never had the nerve to cut up some of my most coveted fabric and vintage matelasse bedspread. Well, that fabric sat as well at the bedspread for another two years, so last week, days before our beach departure, and true to my nature when it comes to traveling as seen here and here, I began frantically cutting and sewing my very own beach blanket. Oh and I am so glad I did!

beach blanket to-go

It seems that plans for traveling sends me into creative overdrive. Instead of making those all important lists and packing, I find myself with a quilt cutter in my hand and sewing machine pedal under my foot. Maybe I should vacation more often! I would say that would be be very beneficial to my sewing habit! And, I could think of a few other places I'd like to go! Hmm, I'll have to keep that in mind.

naps


blanket/quilt

blanket/quilt

Well, as it turns out, this blanket was well used and loved. Rosemary took many naps on it, and it even found its way on our bed one afternoon which made for a lovely throw, very casual and beachy. I think of all the travel sewing I've done, this blanket is definitely my favorite!

**********************************************************

{the details: I added an extra rectangle to each row than what the pattern called for because we have a large family, finished size 60x72. I also cut the bedspread backing larger than the front panel and folded the edges of the bedspread over onto the front for binding and mitered the corners. This saved me a lot of time and headache since the matelasse was very stretchy. I used a zig-zag stitch on the binding.}

toes / sand