Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Blueberries

cooking blueberries

I found myself by midmorning yesterday leafing through about a year’s worth of recipes, looking for my blueberry jam notes from last year.

canning blueberries

Cooking and canning blueberries is really quite easy and therapeutic. Of course I think canning anything is therapeutic. I wrote down what I did yesterday if you want to give it a try.

Measure out:
6 cups blueberries
4 cups sugar
½ cup water
¼ cup lemon juice (fresh squeezed)
1 ½ boxes of Suregel pectin

Wash and sort berries
Mix ¼ cup sugar with pectin
Put berries in large pot and crush with potato masher
Pour in water, lemon, ¼ cup sugar/pectin mix

Bring to a boil over med-high heat
Once it’s reached a boil pour in remainder of sugar (approx 3 ¾ cups)
Bring back to a boil

Test jam in cold spoon

Fill sterilized jars/lid them and place down in boiling water for 5 minutes.

processing jam

{If you have any questions, feel free to comment or email me}

blueberry pie

For the pie, it was beautiful and tasted even better than it looked. Thing is, it got eaten before I could take a picture of it baked. Trust me, you have to try it! Recipe here.